In this blog series we will be re-introducing our well renowned LIMS, QLIMS, and how it enables our philosophy for lab informatics, the concept of LIMS as a Platform. Benefits it can enable include:
- Reduce manual errors and lower investigation workloads by 90%
- Improve data integrity
- Reduce QC lab lead times by 60-70%
- Enhance brand trust
- Move the lab from a cost centre to a strategic partner!
For those who haven’t read our recent white paper, Building the QA Lab of the Future, we spoke about the tools you need today, to be ready tomorrow. The key word there being tools, because although we sit firmly in the laboratory it doesn’t mean we lose sight of the overall business having a cohesive strategy.
What is QLIMS as a Platform?
The goal is to ensure your LIMS can not only meet your requirements today, but also the requirements of the future which you do not know yet.
By definition an application is designed to help a user perform specific tasks. A platform is an architecture and software framework that allow many applications to run and connect.
We start on the platform of course with LIMS, QLIMS, as this is our history and where we have had much success. From there we have additional services and applications which run alongside QLIMS helping your lab run as efficiently as possible allowing for less administrative work and more science.
Here is an example:
From sample registration to reporting, quality management, project management, resource planning, instrument and systems automation, workflow and specifications management, notifications, data import, business intelligence reporting and lab execution the QLIMS platform is infinitely scalable.
How do we do this?
QLIMS is completely API based. API is an acronym for Application Programming Interface. Just as you have a fully functional and easy to use interface for the laboratory users, an API is the set of toolkits which exist for those with software development expertise to enable applications to talk together.
OnQ Software provide fully documented API’s for your internal IT team and/or systems integrator of choice. Alternately via our Certified Developers Program we can connect you with trained partners to help.
What is currently available on the QLIMS Platform?
Here are some of the 3rd party applications which we have available on the QLIMS platform designed to make a scientist’s life easier and empower the business:
- QCKen – rapid data migration tool from ZIFO for import of LIMS data from legacy systems, spreadsheets, hand written notes and other databases.
- Water Outlook – a cloud-based repository for all operational and compliance data that provides early warnings, data storage, security and risk reduction.
- Remote Sampler – a ruggedized mobile data collection solution designed specifically for use in the water and environmental sectors. Developed by CSols.
- Links for LIMS – a complete bi-directional, vendor agnostic instrument integration package from CSols.
- BaseSpace Clarity LIMS – genomic workflow management tool from Illumina that includes integration to dna sequencers.
- Bartender – dynamic label generation tool from Seagull Scientific which includes drivers for laboratory printers.
- RippleDown – clinical decision support solution from BeamTree.
Instrument integration, scheduling, data import mapping, bulk reporting, repository management are some examples of the many OnQ developed services embedded within QLIMS.
This is the future of technology and about time that laboratories are brought up to this level.
Start with one of the QLIMS SaaS packages to be up and running in weeks, not years and always on the latest version. From here you can scale on demand.
For other vendors interested in having their application on our platform, please make contact via our website.